From: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon Jan 16 07:55:27 CST 2006
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Capacitance HELP

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

while we are on the subject....

lets see if someone can explain the numeric code on very small (
physical size) caps....

for example  what is the value of a ceramic cap with     "560"  as
the only marking on it    or  "100K   1KV"

good thing I have a cap meter  but having to test 30 caps to find the
one I need is a pain...
some of the numerics dont even make sence to me from the meter reading test...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hi Al,
>
>You got most of it right.
>
>f  = farads
>uf = microfarads (10^-6)
>nf = nanofarads  (10^-9)
>pf = picofarads  (10^-12)
>tf  = themptofarad (10^-15)  used in IC design  (hope spelled right)
>
>MFD is also microfarads.  I dont remember ever hearing of
>capacitance expressed in millifarads so I suspect MF is also
>microfarads (just not sure on this one).
>
>1000 tf = 1 pf
>1000 pf = 1 nf
>1000 nf = 1 uf
>
>1000000 tf = 1 nf
>1000000 pf = 1 uf
>1000000 uf = 1 f
>
>Hopes this helps,
>
>Gerry R.

A little off the subject, I use a French (azerty) keyboard, and it has a key for "mu." I'll put ot on the next line to see if it reproduces as mu on your screen:

I got to wondering if you could use alt +asci number to reproduce the Greek letters.

        I'll use alt + 230 (mu) to see what happens:

        I suppose it's more trouble than it's worth.

        I also have  the square symbol:

        That's alt+253

        Joe Cummings