Re: spark gap

180 to 200 mils (max) is a good value for NST operation as long as a Terry filter is employed. Above 200 mils and you are pushing things a bit.

Dr. Resonance
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:22 PM
Subject: RE: spark gap

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Ouch!  The suggested method of setting the spark gap width is a
sure-fire way to kill an NST.  Yes, the performance will be very good -
the wider the gap, the better.  But the voltage may far exceed what the
NST and cap can withstand.

The correct way to set the gap width is to disconnect the primary tap,
so that the gap is across the NST output and the cap/primary are
effectively out of the circuit.  The gap width must be set so that it
just begins to fire with maximum Variac AC in to the NST.

With a 12/120 power supply, attention to airflow through the gap is
vital.  With that much power, more than a gentle wafting through the gap
is needed to keep it cool.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA