Re: spark gap

Original poster: Just Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Tim,

My coil is similar in specs, although only 60mA instead of 120.

I found that I've had the best luck with 2 gaps out of 6 available.
The way I set them is similar to setting a safety gap: open the gap
until they stop firing and then close it back just a wee bit.  (For
the safety gap you would keep it at the just-barely-not-firing
distance).

The width of the gap will determine the voltage that the tank cap
is charged to before discharging through the spark gap.  In my
(limited) experience, a wider gap makes loud bangs that are 'hotter'
and more randomly distributed.  A narrower gap makes more of a
high pitched buzz as the breakdown frequency goes up (the tank cap
can be charged to the breakdown voltage several times in 1/2 of a
60Hz AC cycle).  Also with the narrower gap, I tend to get a streamer
that stays 'solid', and wanders around rather than the random sparks
jumping around erratically.

My gap pieces are approx 1"x6" copper pipe and they seem to stay cool
with a microwave-sourced fan blowing out the sparks.

I also found that I got much better results with a 6" minor diameter
toroid, perhaps you would as well.

happy coiling,

Justin