Re: Ballasting a Pole Pig (Revisited)

When I'm back in my lab this summer I do run some data for you to crunch on our power reactors with ammeters, voltmeters, etc.

Dr. Resonance

Hi DC,

I bet that is it. I did a curve on my ballast from 0V to 140Vac and it didn't become linear until I got to 20Vac (0.47 amps). My program is strictly theoretically based so verification with reallity needs to still happen. The program, for instance, does not handle fringe effects at the end of the winding nor divergence from the gap (especially wide gaps). Anyone can get the source code and executable at:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds

Someday I may rewrite it for easier use.

Gerry R.

We had check it will a standard Wavetek meter. Perhaps we were not getting proper magnetization current. Next spring, when I'm back in the shop, I will check it with the "power" method. I bet this would produce different results, or, as you suggested the Cp is being reflective in nature. We will check the inductance completely out of the circuit.

Sounds like you have a nice program for inductance.

DC

Dr. Resonance