Re: Capacitance HELP

Regarding alpha characters, I found the following on the web.

BTW, here's a decent website on the subject
http://xtronics.com/kits/ccode.htm

Symbol   Tolerance
------   ---------
 B       +/-  0.1  %
 C       +/-  0.25 %
D & E     +/-  0.5  %
 F       +/-  1  %
 G       +/-  2  %
 H       +/-  3  %
 J       +/-  5  %
 K       +/- 10  %
 M       +/- 20  %
 N       +/-  0.05 %
 P      +100, - 0 %  Z       +80, -20 %

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

while we are on the subject....

lets see if someone can explain the numeric code on very small ( physical size) caps....

for example what is the value of a ceramic cap with "560" as the only marking on it or "100K 1KV"

good thing I have a cap meter but having to test 30 caps to find the one I need is a pain...
some of the numerics dont even make sence to me from the meter reading test...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Al,

You got most of it right.

f  = farads
uf = microfarads (10^-6)
nf = nanofarads  (10^-9)
pf = picofarads  (10^-12)
tf  = themptofarad (10^-15)  used in IC design  (hope spelled right)

MFD is also microfarads. I dont remember ever hearing of capacitance expressed in millifarads so I suspect MF is also microfarads (just not sure on this one).

1000 tf = 1 pf
1000 pf = 1 nf
1000 nf = 1 uf

1000000 tf = 1 nf