Re: Ballasting a Pole Pig (Revisited)

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, again, if you don't care too much about
efficiency, my "garbage can of water" ballast will
work ok, and is easy to build.  I can post a few
pictures and a parts list if you like.  Only tools
required for assembly are a hacksaw and a drill, and
virtually everything is assembled with zip ties :)

Another super-cheap ballast is the "spool of wire"
ballast.  I've played a bit with this.  I picked up
two 500ft spools of #10 wire from Home Depot.  Two in
series will pass about 20A at 120V.  You could run
this in series with one of the 120V windings of your
pig, and that would certainly do for a fine
medium-power coil.  After a minute or two of
operation, however, the spools do get quite warm, and
will need some time to cool back down.

aaron