RE: Variac blowing fuses (another newbie question)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Dennis:

Re. your PFC caps - what does the label on the cap say?  If the uF value
is stated as a range, i.e. 41-53 or 88-108 uF, then it's a starting cap.
For the starting cap that I pictured on my web site, it says right on
the label "For motor starting".  Other starting caps may or may not say
that.  The manufacturer's name by itself is meaningless, as many cap
makers make both starting and run caps.  Also, the description stated in
a catalog may or may not be definitive.  A surplus vendor like All
Electronics is probably not staffed by degreed component engineers,
although Mouser seems to be at a higher technical tier.  But since you
have the caps, probably the most definitive test is just trying it.  A
starting cap will start venting steam in less than a minute if you just
hook up AC power to it.  If yours have been energized longer than that
without getting warm, they're probably OK.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA