Re: 37XR inductance range

Hi Steve,

Ferrites have hysterysis curves too. Any core that can get hot does. However, "in general", it is low enough not to mess up low power measurements if there are lots of turns and the core is not too big. But you really need to find the material specs and check it all out if you really need to trust a meter measurement.

www.ferroxcube.com and others have such info if you dig hard enough:

http://www.ferroxcube.com/prod/assets/sfintro.pdf

Our ferrite inductor suppliers checked their work with simple meters, but in some cases we did have to 'fudge" the reading they checked to because of their low power meters and the core's hysterysis, size, turns gave skewed readings...

So, it probably is a worry...

A nice low-Z amp (or a stereo audio amp) and a signal generator with the usual toys can beat any L meter all to heck, it is just more complex to setup... But then you can often go right to your currents and frequencies of interest and scan around on the edges for any possible problems. You just have to be able to measure current, voltage, and frequency. The signal general and power amplifier are not terribly critical and can be picked up off e-bay for a song if you don't already have them. A GenRad 1630AV high power inductance meter used to run $38,000.00 but they are cheaper used at like $3000:

http://www.used-line.com/c5008261s1723-G_R_1630AV.htm

http://teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_Var1=GENERAL%20RADIO%20-%20QUADTECH%201630AV&pDo=DETAIL

But 1250V to 20 amps over 20 to 20,000Hz... I think the little audio players kids carry around in their pockets do that nowadays :o))) Apparently, some kid's cars are now "propelled" by 200 HP "audio systems"... %:D But if you can find an audio amplifier that puts out the current you need, your pretty much set!! I think they still sell audio generator "CDs" for testing too if you don't have a signal generator but want very accurate signal sources... A computer sound card could do that too with the software we discussed a while back... If you series a cap in there too with maybe a little resistance, you can resonant the voltages way up too if you wish...

Fact is, almost all such measurements are done with odd things laying about the lab rather than a fancy single machine to do it. The next step up in needed equipment is a technician that will do it all for you :-))) Once you get used to using a core material like 3C8, then you will sort of "know" anyway. Often the inductors are "gapped" too which adds another twist to it all...

Cheers,

        Terry