Re: Source of optical fiber

Hi Finn,

How much do you need? I have a bunch lying around from the days before I went to glass fiber. Be warned that the attenuation in that cable is extremely bad!! It is usually just sold to the hobbyists now. Like 10 feet for visible and 100 feet for just the right wavelength. Glass goes 1/2 mile...

The cable is carried by everyone but it is hard to dig out of their catalogs or webpages... The DigiKey part number is:

A1700-100-ND but you can order it by the meter as explained at the bottom of the page here:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T061/0202.pdf

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Amp/Web%20Photo/New%20Photos/501232-3.jpg

It is amp/tyco # 501232-3

http://ecommas.tycoelectronics.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Customer+Drawing%7F501232%7FL%7Fpdf%7FEnglish%7FENG_CD_501232_L.pdf

Not that it is 150dB/km loss!!! and that is with just the right wavelength LEDs and receivers. I think it is 10X that with red LEDs!! I would only use it for digital or very short (like a foot) analog. The best were blue or IR... I forget...

Contact me off list since I probably have everything you need for free ;-)) I had a ton of left over stuff with the 1000um (why don't they just say 1mm...) fiber and you can have it. I have the best transmitters and receivers too for it if I can figure out which is which...

Cheers,

        Terry