Re: Corona Rings (was: First Light ..)

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes.  Basically, you're trying to reduce electrical
stresses on the air by effectively eliminating sharp
edges.  Somewhere around I've got a great photo of a
500kV substation.  I'll post it if I can find it.  In
that picture, you can see dozens of tiny rings placed
around virtually every discontinuity in the busbars
and switchgear, etc., to eliminate corona.  At lower
voltages, losses due to corona are often more than
offset by the cost of preventative measures, so you
won't see the rings used much.

aaron