Re: Early TC's w/o topload

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 1/3/06 1:27:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Angelini, Frank J" <FrankJAngelini@xxxxxxxxx>

Most of the TC's I've built over the years were based on articles in
old magazines
from the 1920,s and 30's.  They seldom used any topload, but rather
had a discharge
terminal alone or one with a small discharge ball.  I wondered
why?  Was this due to a
basic lack of knowledge concerning the benefit of a sphere or
toroid?  Did Tesla use
a designed topload?

Thanks,

FJA

Hi Frank,

At that time, producing the longest sparks was not the main purpose of Tesla coils. They still had practical HV/Xray/research uses for which the sparks were counter-productive.

Matt D.