Re: Bleeder Resistors

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Can someone explain to me why this is not necessary?

Some people do believe in using bleeder resistors across every capacitor that could store a dangerous charge, irrespective of what circuit it's in. I happen to be one of those people and always use bleeder resistors on my TC tank caps, electrolytic filter caps in SSTCs, etc.

The justification for using no bleeders in a classic AC powered coil is that the tank capacitor can always discharge through the power transformer secondary when the coil is powered down. Unless of course one of the HV cables falls off during a run, or a resistor burns out in your Terry filter, or whatever. :-/

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/