Thanks - Re: Saturable Reactor Ballast from MOT's

Original poster: "Alex Kardash" <voltamp1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

We should congratulate Aaron also, from whom the recipe for a dual-MOT ballast originated week on hvlist (actually, Carl did mention that below, but I thought I should point it out again for posterity's sake :))

http://www.pupman.com/hvlistarchives/2006/Feb/msg00003.html

Anyway, thanks to both Carl and Aaron for giving me something to do tonight :D I just tried this with two *similar* MOTs, having the same rated voltage and power capacity, and it appeared to work out ok for a relatively small load (about 3A). Unfortunately, I'm an NST coiler and hadn't done anything with these MOTs until tonight, so I'm struggling to find a larger load to play with! Where's a third MOT when you need one?! Time to go to eBay, methinks...

Safe TC'ing,
-Alex

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Carl,

Congratulations, this may be the most important
discovery in quite some time.

I may be wrong, but from the schematic, it would appear that you have the secondaries wired in parallel pairs of opposing series, as you describe. However, since the primaries are wired in pairs of opposing parallel, it would appear to me, that the effect is canseled, and you would in fact get voltage on the secondaries/controll windings. Therefore I suggest that the schematic does not faithfully record the setup as you describe.
Perhaps this is more what is intended?
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/satur.jpeg

However, a very clever idea. I have never seen anyone taking the controll winding out on 2 separate
cores.

Cheers, Finn Hammer