Re: JavaTC

Hi,

Be concerned with "power". A Tesla coil's sparks generally depend on how much "power" is put into it. For an NST, that is simply the voltage multiplied by the current. So a 9000 Volt NST at 30 mA will be:

9000 x 0.030 = 270 watts of power.

The formula is then:

Spark length (inches) = 1.7 x SQRT(power)

1.7 x SQRT(270) = 28 inches of spark length...

That is the best case... Mutual inductance is pretty far down on the list. It depends a lot on the coil losses and such... But, "big input power" means "big output power" which means "big streamers" ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry