RE: Toroid made easy

Original poster: Ian Macky <ian@xxxxxxxxx>

I am starting to learn about blacksmithing and Stainless is a bear to
work hot.
You would also really need to TIG weld it, you can MIG stainless but the
weld can be porous.
Mild steel is a lot better.

There are some wonderful stick rods out there now, and you can stick weld
all kinds of stuff not possible traditionally.  I have/had a SS fish tank
stand, all stick welded, big fat stick-weld-looking beads just like mild,
but it was SS!  Very nice, beats the heck out of TIG with a magnifying lens,
producing microscopic beads.

As for heating SS, if it gets to red hot, it is ruined-- you can throw it
away and try again on a new piece.

--ian