noob questions

Original poster: "Jay McDonald" <jay.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I just joined the list, and am going to ask some quick newbie questions. I
know very little about how Tesla coils work, or even electricity for that
matter - but, my nephew (a professional electrician) is going to work with
me to get something going. Is there any sort of intro to coil theory and
building that is available on the web that would get us quickly up to speed?
I have done a lot of looking, but everything seems fragmentary and technical
- it often presumes prior knowledge. What's something good that will give us
a comprehensive understanding of the various principles and options for
building?

I have seen that most seem to fall into either spark gap, vacuum tube, or
solid state. Then after that, some seem like they have more adjustments than
others. What are the pros and cons of each? From my admittedly ignorant
perspective, the vacuum tube ones seem the most interesting.

Are there designs which run quietly, instead of the characteristic loud RAT
TAT TAT? Are some designs inherently safer than others?

What about the structural design? Most coils seem to follow the standard
look of the Tesla's original with a tall, thin, pole-like design. But what's
the story with something like these:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07cmo/hv/goldman/goldman.htm

And lastly, are there any builders in my area? USA, New Jersey, Northern
part, along route 78.

Thank you,

Jay McDonald

Hexatrope Creative Studios, LLC