Re: Homemade Voltage Divider

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dave,

Having built my own quarter shrinker and power supply, i will tell you
about what i did.

For measurement i used a resistive divider.  Most meters have a 10M
impedance as standard.  Make a 1:100 divider with the 10meg being the
"1" and the 1G being the "100" (really its 1G-10Meg, but this is close
enough).  This should get you within a few % tolerance.  I used real
HV resistors on my divider, but you could series up many LV resistors
just as well.  I then use my DMM (cheap $12 one) to read the voltage
at the divider.

For charging i have a constant current source (HV SMPS i built), but
just in case, i also have a 3k limiting resistor.  Your 3k 250W
resistor sounds just fine.

Overbuild the diodes on the supply, say 2-3X the voltage they will
really see.  You dont want them failing in this situation!!  The 3k
resistor will limit the current to something reasonable if they do
fail.  Also, have a HV disconnect relay between the charging supply
and the cap.  Disconnect the HV supply before discharging the cap!!!

My setup works flawlessly so far.  You can see some older pics of it
on my website at:

www.stevehv.4hv.org

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/coinshrinker.htm

Steve