From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:52 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: question for coin shrinkers

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bill,

A 1/2" thick steel housing should work quite nicely for the case.
Regular mild steel (such as A36) is fine, and I'm currently
experimenting with 304SS and "abrasion resistant" AR400. The latter
material is used for Humvee armor, but you can't easily drill or tap
the stuff), but it is weldable. Thus far, I really don't see much
difference in how any of these materials survive being struck by
hypervelocity copper fragments, and I'd use plain old A36 in the future.

I would also recommend designing a cover latching mechanism to keep
the box completely "closed" in order to prevent the force of the
explosion from lifting the lid. Weights alone are usually not
sufficient, particularly at higher energy levels. Sound deadening (on
the exterior or sandwiched within a double wall) is also a great
idea, especially if you are shrinking in a residential neighborhood.
Please let us know what you did in this area and results...

For insulating material, I've had excellent results using plain old
HDPE or UHMW. The material is tough, resilient, and it gracefully
responds to high shock. Indirect hits by wire fragments mark it up a
bit, but I've used the material for parts of by shrinker and it has
lasted for over 6,000 shots. Make sure that any HV bushings are
located out of the direct line of fire from the wire fragments. The
fragments will initially spray out radially from the work coil in a
relatively narrow angle. The highest velocity pieces come from the
1-2 turns that are right above the coin. If you locate the HV
feedthrough at right angles to the coil (i.e., along the centerline
of the work coil axis of rotation), it should last a very long time
with no problems. Be sure to provide sufficient creepage distance,
since copper vapor and dust will collect on everything inside the
blast shield. BTW, you may find it of interest that one of the Texas
coin shrinkers (Paul Marshall) has taken measurements of the fragment
velocity  - some approached a hypervelocity of ~5,000 fps.

Good luck and play safely! Give me a holler if you have any other
questions (630-964-2699).

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured