Re: question for coin shrinkers

Moderated and approved by: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

This is high voltage, but technically off-topic.
Feel free to reply to me off-list.

I will eventually be building a containment vessel (possibly even
with some sound insulation) for coin shrinking work coils, after I
get my main pulser rebuilt.  The chamber walls will probably be made
from 1/2" steel plate with 1x1" angle iron ribs/stiffeners.  The
pulser stores a maximum of 18kJ @ 10kV (wish the voltage was higher).

As for insulating materials for the HV feed-through area, what
materials have you used?  I was thinking of using two layers with an
air gap, possibly with 1/2" silicone resin based G-11 on the inside.
I gather the larger the chamber, and more distant the walls from the
work coil, the better the survivability.  I also assume that high
modulus, high hardness materials like phenolic laminates will tend to
shatter, even the linen based ones.

What have your experiences been and what materials have you used?
G-10?  G-11?  Polycarbonate?  Phenolic?
Filled polycarbonates?  Delrin?

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux