Re: IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip?? Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer.. (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:56:44 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip??  Re: 15kva 14.4 kV   Transformer..
    (fwd)

Hi Finn,

At 05:56 AM 12/24/2006, you wrote:
>From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
>Subject: Re: IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip??  Re: 15kva 14.4 kV  Transformer..
>     (fwd)
>

>Terry,
>
>"Us" that commercialized the solid state coil ;-} have been running
>multithousand amps for years.

:-)))

>A replica of Steve`s 2-brick OLTC motor is running in museum service,
>and it is counting 1 1/2 year now.

Perfect!!

>The coil is intermittent running, In short 116 ringdown long bursts, to
>simulate lightning strikes. These bursts are 0.3sec long at 300BPS. That
>ads up to around 1 hours total a day. So a very rough guess is that it
>is up to around 200 hours now. This coil is using PRX CM600HA-28H`s,
>doing up in the high 3000ths of amps.

:-))))))))  That gets us past the 100 hour mark which is very good!!

>If IR would supply me with replacements, I could swap them out on a
>service visit.

Leave them in!!  Wait till they fail (if ever).

Those bricks can be cut open very easily and they are only put under
silicone gel so no special equipment is needed to gain excellent access to
the die.  No boiling fuming nitric acid is needed ;-))  So "if" there is a
failure, the die can be examined under a lower power microscope for the
usual signs of high current damage.  But if they never fail, who cares ;-))

Your application is perfect for such a test and they have probably already
done "good enough" so that most worries are satisfied.  1000 hours is the
next big step...

Cheers,

         Terry