IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip?? Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer.. (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:17:45 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip??  Re: 15kva 14.4 kV  Transformer.. (fwd)

Hi Bart,

It would also have to monitor fire alarms and dump a few thousand cubic
feet of Halon ;-))  I miss the "good ol days" of having all the ceiling
tiles blow out and hitting me on the head %:-)))  The vocal alarm giving
you 30 seconds to abort, or fire "now"...

I use basic stamps and all that all the time ;-))  Your controller sounds
neat and I would be interested in knowing what kind it is.  Perhaps it is a
custom thing you use in your work.  Prolly like this:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30064

These are cool and I have them but have never had time to really play with
them...

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm3600/

They got powerful ones now too ;-)))

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/RCM4100/index.shtml

But the programming of Basic Stamps is at "my" level 0;-))

But I really don't have a fire proof area where a fire or major electrical
mess could be handled automatically.  Nor could I stand the noise of the
arcs...  Takes like a block house in the desert or something...  But just a
controlled primary circuit is all that is needed since the IGBTs "don't
care" about the top arcs.

The only real concern is how IGBTs stand up to long term continuous massive
over currents.  If anyone gets say 1000 hours on an IGBT with very well
known over stresses, we could probably send it to IR for analysis.  I used
to do that myself but I no longer have direct access to the "stuff".  I
have friends though who still do it.  Maybe IR or Motorola has already done
this.  Probably not though...  If we had the parts, they would "love" to
know as much as we and it is simple to do.

The issue really is what happens to the wire bonds and top metal layers on
the die.  Current pulses at that level can do really wild things and I am
not sure if they are "bad" in our time frame.  My DRSSTC IGBTs have copper
layers on the die which is an odd twist and the SISG die might use copper
too....

DC's 24 hour test tells a lot, but not at the say 100 day range.  I am
slightly worried that some problem might be lurking out there "sooner than
we like" that might kill are poor IGBTs in very long term applications.  I
was thinking Finn was safe using CM600 bricks, till he started running 4500
amps!!! :o))))

So somebody has to do something someday to figure out something about
anything...

Cheers,

         Terry