Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer.. (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:18:51 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer.. (fwd)

Hi,

Of course,

"Steve knows" "full well" about MMCs ;-)))))))))))))

But just for "statistics", what was the failure mechanism????????????

Peak current, RMS current heating, pure over voltage, Corona damage with
old age...????????????

The thermal time constant in the IGBT's thermal expansion coefficients is
far bellow the "ripping and tearing" point at say 60Hz and above...  So
heating and cooling is a "don't care" unless you turn it "on and off" a LOT
(like 50,000 times ;-)))...

If you really "don't know" better get hold of "ScanTesla" :o)))))))  But
prolly RMS current and over heating then...  Polypro melts at less than the
boiling point of water...  Cut them fried caps "open" and you will "see"
inside...

Cheers,

         Terry