Re: Some interesting photos regarding Tesla from the Edison archive... (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:21:06 -0800 (PST)
From: davep@xxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Some interesting photos regarding Tesla from the Edison archive...
    (fwd)

>> A point I think a lot of researchers miss is that Tesla's AC
>> experiments before his wireless transmission tests were done
>> with iron-cored transformers.
    And, i think 'hf' alternators (which work others followed up on).
    As to 'missing' the early work, i reccommend
    reading:
      Experiments with alternate currents of High Potential
      and Frequency
      by N Tesla.
      (Title from memory, tho i think thats right.  Available
       in reprint, tho, decades back, i lucked onto a vintage HB
       copy)

>       I would not doubt that Thompson made the first air core
> coil....but did he actually make the connection about the four
> tuned circuit that made radio transmission possible?
     The subject was coils, rather than applications.

>   Did he experiment with power transmission without wires?
     cf as above.
     It is, perhaps, useful to recall that until the days of
     the vacuum tube ALL WIRELESS was 'transmitted energy':
       What was heard, or whatever was the teeeeeny fraction of
       that energy that made it to some one point.

     I was not gonna mention it, but since we have wandered to
     early wireless, BBC currently has a program up on their
     web site on another forgotten pioneer:
       Reginald Fessenden, aruably the first to sucessfully
       do voice transmission (It has some technical and
       histrical clunks in it  8)>>  (I collect old books
       8)>>))

     One access is
        www.bbc.co.uk
           find 'radio'
              thence to 'programmes'
                  thence to 'A-z', select Discovery
                     Click oon oneof the audio feeds...

     And let me add my thanks for the Edison Quote.  Was there a
     Date i missed?

     And, lastly:
       Best of the Season to All

      dwp