Re: A s.s.t.c. problem (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:24:05 -0800
From: K. C. Herrick <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>
To: Tesla List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A  s.s.t.c. problem

Well, I was a bit hasty in the concern about my "problem".  I only had
about 3 coil turns active in the primary.  And eyeballing the setup, the
IGBT/mains-capacitor/primary-connection loop does appear to add the
equivalent of perhaps 1 coil-turn to the overall circuit inductance.
And also, when I drive the system open-loop with a signal generator, I
find that I need ~150 KHz to resonate the (smaller of 2) secondaries
that I'm presently using.  I'd thought it was at about 125 KHz -- but
that was with the big toroid; I'm temporarily using a smaller one for
testing.

So...I need to reduce the primary capacitance to allow for a few more
turns in the coil.  And perhaps try to diminish the extraneous
inductance.  And maybe I'll start using the longer secondary for its
lower Fr.  But I'm getting to be almost too feeble to pick it up
anymore, in my old age.

KCH