Re: Wire length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:57:28 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wire length (fwd)

Cool Jared. No hurry's on the explanation, so take the time needed, and
thanks for the status.

I've been building another flat coil this last month. It's sort of a
Tesla duplicate, but scaled down (the original is just not practical for
my garage). Here's the layout I came up with.
http://www.classictesla.com/flat/Bigflat.gif

It's inductance should be 4.165mH at Ldc and 4.85 at resonance (76.3pF
at Cdc and 54.9pF at resonance) including top load and primary.

I'm giving it an authentic Tesla look with wooden runners, however, the
runners will incorporate a standoff design which Tesla did not have
privileged to.
http://www.classictesla.com/flat/flatrunner.gif

The design will attempt a 5" sphere terminal. The primary will be flat
copper ribbon around the perimeter of the secondary. The loaded Q is
modeled at 713. It's a bit different than my flat closewound coil, so it
should be a lot of fun to play with and to see what I can do with it.
This flat coil will also be driven with Terry's SISG circuit (I bought
enough of these nice SISG boards from Mark Dunn with this in mind). I'm
doing this for the fun of it and no other reason. But, as with all my
coils, I will also make as many measurements as possible to add another
little piece of the puzzle to our very unique craft.

I've already built all the wooden runners (complete with plexi standoff
groove, etc.). I've also completed the mounting of the long runners to
center disc as well as the long runner plexi standoffs (shorter runner
standoffs is all that is left to start winding). One thing I realized
with Tesla's flat coil is that he used wooden slats behind the coil to
mount the runners (every pic of Tesla's flat coil shows the same wooden
slats). I will do something a little different to adhere the
intermediate runners (I just don't want all that wood behind the coil).
I expect soon after Christmas, I'll finish the flat coil and can begin
work on the primary and driver circuit (I already have the copper
ribbon). The driver will have to wait on IGBT's (the price doubled, so
I'm looking for either alternatives or lower prices for the same through
other distributors). I plan on supporting the coil with a camera type
tripod (where the coil can be angled vertically, horizontally, or
wherever) to give you a vision of the end look I'm hoping to achieve.

Anyway, knowing that you have built many flat coils (and other
wavelength coils), I thought I'd share this latest adventure. BTW, I
expect flashover to be much less a problem with this spacewound coil
than with closewound flat coils as has been my experience. Oddly, I
actually found flashovers on closewound coils pretty cool to watch
(well, until outer windings burned, which I then realized I had gazed at
it just a little too long). Still need to fix that coil.

Take care,
Bart