Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:55:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Well Ed,
       I just replied to Matt D. on this earlier.   I calculated the frequency, inductance, etc.  for a hypothetical secondary coil for a magnifier.  There was no particular reason I chose the size, but I picked a 60 in diameter,  27 in tall coil wound with 16g wire spaced at ten turns per inch(270 turns).   If that coil was used alone the frequency was already down to about  62kHz.  How bad could the skin effect be for 16g wire at that frequency?.  I, for fun,  added a toroid that was 12 inch by 72 inch and the frequency lowered to 40kHz.  The inductance was about 121mH.. and the Q...assuming the inductive reactance divided by the resistance(I didn't include skin effect on this...just the DC resistance.  I don't have the data for a better estimate) was over 3000.   I realize the loaded Q due to streamers drops that way off, but  this still would make for one heck of a secondary in a maggie design.   Assuming one would add a tertiary coil,  the frequency might be down near
 20kHz and thus the skin effect would be less still.   Now....if I could just get my hands on 4000 + ft of 16g magnet wire....lol
     In thinking about this even more,   If a person could pulse drive this hypothetical maggie over 1000 pps...which is possible....one might start overlapping the ringdowns of the system and create those fireballs(ball lightning)  like Tesla warned about.    hmmmmmmm

  Mike

  When increased RF resistance due to skin effect is included the
maximum Q occurs in a spaced winding with greater l/d ratio.  The 0.45
ratio WOULD gave maximum Q at low frequencies.

Ed