Re: PIRANHA-III Power control? (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:59:51 +0900
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PIRANHA-III  Power control? (fwd)

You are concerned to avoid the near saturation wastefulness of the MOT's
driven at mains voltage.  A dimmer switching at 90%  will be well past the
peak of the half wave and hence past the point of near saturation I suspect
but with the current being 90 degrees slow I am not sure what will happen.
Switching a transformer on at zero crossing gives the biggest current surge
(rather than at peak).  I'm sure the dimmer people have it all worked out
but I'm not sure it will neccessarily work as expected to improve
efficiency.

Peter