Re: Terry's Filter (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:26:25 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Terry's Filter (fwd)

Hi James,

At 02:30 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:

> [...]

Metal Oxide Varistor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

I get 1800V ones from DigiKey.com.  If the spark gap fails "and" the safety
gaps fails.  The MOVs will provide total last chance protection for the NST
so it "can't" go over voltage no matter what else goes wrong.  If the MOVs
are on long and hard, they will over heat and fail shorted still protecting
the NST.  They will also absorb a direct streamer hit to the NST preventing
damage.

http://www.phonda.com.tw/varistor.htm

>I have seen these over lapping hoop symbols before .. and I once saw an
>explanation but have not been able to find it again ... I do have a few text
>books on electric but it's not there .......

The symbol started out as the two circles but it may have changed in the
last 20 years to something more standard....

>I am learning some of the Americanisms .. my baby brother  moved to
>Vacaville CA.about 16 months ago
>I think crazy glue is cyano acrylate ( UK - super glue)

yes

>I do not know what ( your) mineral oil is  ... I use liquid paraffin  ( an
>old remedy for constipation and the basis of most baby oils and some
>medicated creams)

Yes.  Baby oil without the perfume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

We usually think of the very pure kind at the pharmacy used in cosmetics.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100104&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod606

Cheers,

         Terry