From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 8:54 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Safety gap - setting

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx

I just finished rebuilding & resetting my safety gap, but I'm not
sure I got it right.  Basically I set the gap so it just barely
wouldn't fire at full 130v variac setting.  I tested the setting by
dialing the variac from 0v to 130v pretty much the way I would do it
if I were actually starting up the tesla coil.

My question is this.  When I already had the variac set at 130v &
then hit the "on" switch, the safety gap would fire.  This abrupt
powering up would fire the gap at settings that would not fire when I
gradually dialed up the voltage to max.  To get the gap so it
wouldn't fire when I powered it up abruptly, it required a much wider
setting.

Which of the 2 methods to test gap setting is correct - abrupt full
power or gradual dial up?  Thx for any suggestions.  Dennis Hopkinton MA