Re: real life applications

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000@xxxxxxxxx>

PBS has a good site about Tesla that I used to get my first general knowledge of his history. At this page it generally describes what led Tesla to start building the coil:
<http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_hifreq.html>http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_hifreq.html
And this page describes some of the impacts it had near the bottom of the page:
<http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ins/lab_tescoil.html>http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ins/lab_tescoil.html
To me the Tesla coil seemed to contribute most as an invention that helped prompt discovery in other areas that yielded many other important inventions. Radio, X-Rays, etc, are all things that branched out of the Tesla coil design itself. Much like the Leyden jars in earlier days, it directly evolved into objects we use, but probably more importantly it spawned several other ideas and inventions off if its experimentation. Of course, the benefit of the coil I notice the most is that it provides hardware stores, junk shops, neon stores, ebay, etc, with a constant income from dedicated, maybe addicted, hobbyists like myself.

-Chris