RE: bulkheads / baffles in secondaries

Original poster: Daniel Hess <dhess1@xxxxxxxxxx>

I've had good luck cutting plastics using a hollow ground blade in a saber saw with variable speed so that I can cut slow. That prevents the generation of heat which allows the plastic to fuse back together right behind the cut.

I also like to drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the disc, mount it in my drill press and then at a slow RPM, use a belt sander to true or clean-up the circumference of disk. Most extruded plastic tubes rarely have a true inner diameter, (they're always a little out of round) so I don't get too hung-up on building a perfect circle disk because it just doesn't matter. Then I use a dollop of silicone RTV to seal the center hole. Also use RTV to mount the disks inside the secondary.

Daniel

"Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

08/18/2006 11:44 AM
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
RE: bulkheads / baffles in secondaries

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dennis:

There are special blades for plastics/laminates that fit your jig saw.
They require a low speed so cut slow.  They also break easily(my
opinion).  Alternaitvely, I use my radial arm saw with a laminate blade
and rough cut the shape.  Then finish it to size with a belt sander.
You can buy a cheap fabricated table that fixed mounts your belt sander
vertically so you can work the part perpendicular to the sander on the
table.  Allows you to get the part to relatively accurate dimensions
without jumping up to a lathe.

Mark