RE: bulkheads / baffles in secondaries

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer" <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have put baffles in my coils. I have had one of them fail too. The baffle
was made up of a plastic cup but the ozone caused the cup to crack and decay
allowing sparks through.

Also, using silicone seal to seal any gaps seemed not to work well, as the
one that failed not only had cracks well away from the failure point, the
primary had a 15 inch burn track that lead between the silicone seal and the
inside of the pvc itself! Seems that silicone seal does not always make
enough contact with the inside of the tube to form a good barrier.

Holes left unsealed in the baffles would defeat the purpose of the baffles.
Vent holes in the tube might provide a path for sparking if there were holes
on both sides of the baffles.

The best result I have gotten using baffles is to get flat end caps for the
tubing and remove the rims so that they fit snugly inside, and then seal it
up with epoxy or some other non-flammable glue that is quick setting. Once
the glue is set and stops emitting vapors, the tube can be closed up.

So far, the end caps also seem to be tight fitting enough to overcome the
problems with silicone seal having to be pressed hard against the inside of
the tube to ensure a good seal.

You might be able to cope with the holes left in the baffles by the shaft of
your lathe if you had them placed close to the end where you could cover
over and seal the holes after winding.