Re: Large Series Gap

Hi Cameron,

Just got back from a weekend fishing trip and read David and your replies.

My calc's were from Javatc, but I was under the impression the gap was the only one you were going to use. Now that I see it is a series arrangement with the SRSG, that makes a world of difference. I would probably keep the gap setting you have (somewhat close), otherwise you will have trouble with the SRSG firing. Still need to monitor the static gap for heat and just add adequate cooling as necessary.

BTW, very nice SRSG!!

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

Bart, I think David's response will help ease your mind regarding using the
series gap as the only gap in the system. As he points out, this will be in
series with the ARSG shown here:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/images/DSC01677-m.jpg

I have been using the ARSG by itself with good results. I'm running the
system at about 60A and regularly get 12 foot streamers to ground. They are
somewhat thin however. After viewing the TCBOR tapes and speaking with
David, I decided to follow Richard Hull's advice and try the series gap
also.

Bart, could you explain how you arrived at the 0.25" mark for the combined
gap width based on the pipe size?

I went ahead and mounted the series gap in the coil tonight and connected
it. I plan to test the system tomorrow. What type of symptoms should I
expect if the gaps are not wide enough? I do have an extra PVC couple that I
can re-drill for wider gaping.

David, to answer your question, if you look at the side view you will see
that there are actually two bolts in each pipe:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/images/seriesgap/DSC02816.JPG

Thanks to everyone for the input,

Cameron