Large Series Gap Results

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

I tried the gap tonight and had mixed results. I had several arcs to the
primary about the third of which killed the cooling fan on the back of the
series gap. I went ahead and ran the system without the fan and it seemed to
do okay.

I tried out my new camera tonight also and had great results with it. You
can see the coil in action here:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/images/DSC00011.JPG

The lone arc to the engine hoist at far left is somewhat over 12 feet. Most
of the arcs to ground are about 11 feet.

The output seemed better with the series gap, but I had more arcs to the
primary with it. I tried adjusting the tuning, but that didn't seem to make
a lot of difference. Is it time to ditch the flat ribbon primary and go with
a spiral out of copper tubing with a guard ring? I guess I could fashion a
guard ring around the ribbon primary.

I have a 10A EMI line filter I could put on the cooling fan. Do you guys
think this would help? I have one more fan, but I need to put precautions in
place to prevent burning it up.

Thanks again for the input,
Cameron