Re: Large Series Gap

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A sort of related question:  I've always wondered what
the quenching is like in this style of gap.  If the
spark jumps near the fan end of the electrodes, won't
it just tend to be blown along the surface of the
electrodes rather than blown out quickly?
Intuitively, the "active quenching" seems a lot less
"active" in this configuration (to me).  I'd be
especially worried at pig-power levels about getting
something akin to a Jacob's ladder going in there.
Very high air volume seems like a must for something
bigger than a NST.

I've had good luck at the 1-2kVA level using a
dual-gap "leaf blower" gap (two pairs of brass pipes
pointed at each other, end-to-end, with air blowing
through them).  Lots of air flow is a must!  On the
positive side, I've observed that brass electrodes
seem to live good long lives at these powers, provided
your coil is tuned well.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE