Slide choke

Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

A while ago I successfully built a slide choke using a 500 Ft spool of #10 thhn house wire, and coated mild steel tig rods, cut to 12". I have aquired some "I" laminations that are 1 3/4 inches wide, and 18" long. I have enough to make 2 , 1 3/4 square cores. I have about 750 ft. of #8 PVC wire. Is the length/width ratio of the coil a major factor? In other words, can I wind an 18" long coil with the wire I have, and just use the laminations as is? I'll be using this with 240v, up to 50 A Initially, and maybe 90A later.