Re: Black ABS

At 10:44 PM 4/23/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

After burning a nice hole in my secondary I went to
home depot to find a piece of pipe for a replacement
form.

A came home with a hunk 4"x24" of black ABS.  I've
searched through the archives and have read mixed
opinions about black ABS.

The problem is not only the carbon black used for pigment, but that ABS pipe is foam cored. It's actually a foam with skins on inside and outside. It's DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) which doesn't have to hold any significant pressure.

Your problem is that the foam is also a poor insulator, being mostly air.

Someone suggested that rubbing it on paper would be a
good test to see if it contains carbon.  What I have
is very hard and leaves no mark.

The other suggestion is to rub in im my hair to see if
it generates static.  I shave my head, so my shiney
head precludes me from running that test!

So what do you guys think?  Would this stuff be OK, or
should I pitch it and get a hunk of white PVC?

Yes.. go get yourself a piece of PVC

Are there any other tests I could run?

Umm... you could wind a secondary on it and try it <grin>?

Thanks,

Curt.