Re: Physics of Wireless Transmission

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: Physics of Wireless Transmission

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>
> Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> . . . The term "electric wave" is actually
> synonymous with "electromagnetic wave."

    Is it? . . .

Back in 1911 J.J. Thomson used the term "electric wave" to describe what we presently call the electromagnetic wave. It is better to say the term "electric wave" as it was used 100 years ago is synonymous with the present day "electromagnetic wave."

    My impressions:
    1) Usage, expecially in popularizations is a little loose.

I agree. Tightening up on the nomenclature will get everyone on the same page and eliminate unecessary disagreements based upon mutual misunderstanding.

    2) There CAN BE 'pure electric waves'.
       (variation in e field)

Are not your 'pure electric waves' associated with magnetic fields in this case?

    3) These transform, over relatively short diatances
       (cf Maxwell??) into the most common form, which
       is the electromagnetic wave.

    best
     dwp

The term "electromagnetic wave" should only be used when you wish to broadly describe electrical energy propagated through either free space or a material medium. You are describing "electromagnetic radiation." The electromagnetic wave begins to assume this form from the moment the antenna's charge carriers begin to accelerate.

Regards,
Gary Peterson