Primary coil configuration

Original poster: "Chris Farmer" <cfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
I'm in the process of designing my first coil. I'm a junior in EE and it just caught my intrest while I was researching HV transmission lines. I have a 15kV 60mA NST and I'm reading as much as I can about the rest of the design before I actually buy/build anything. My question is what is the difference between making the primary wind outward away from the secondary opposed to winding vertically keeping the windings all the same distance from the secondary. Also what does primary placement around the secondary effect. If I move the primary up to the middle of the secondary what will that effect?

~Farmer
Durham NH