Re: Big Insulator

At 07:52 PM 4/16/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Adam,

I have noticed the same thing when trying
to get into one of those types of insulators.
It does indeed smell like pure burning sulfur
and the fumes are indeed rather noxious. I ne-
ver really thought of sulfur as being an insu-
lator although I'm sure it would NOT be a good
conductor.

Sulfur is actually a really good insulator. It was commonly used 100yrs ago in electrostatic equipment. Easy to melt and pour, etc.

However, I've never heard of it being used in modern equipment. Not to say that they don't use it, though...