Re: saturable reactor vs choke

Thankyou Steve,

Gerry R.

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry, David,

I believe a saturable reactor works much the same no matter if the "knee" of the magnetic material is "hard" or "soft", but hard is preferable. As far as I know, a saturable reactor works as a phase angle controlled switch just like a lamp dimmer, and the control coil bias determines the point in each half-cycle where it flips from unsaturated to saturated.

I've seen ferrites for HF saturable reactors in a Fair-Rite catalog and they seem to be designed with a vey hard knee. And a warning not to operate too near their acoustic resonance frequency in case they shatter :-/

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com