RE: Question on Variac lighting

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

The best cap size is the one that makes the best sparks; it doesn't
matter at what point of the Variac the gap begins to fire.  That you
have control between 55% and 100% rather than 25% and 100% is just the
way it is for your coil.

Remember, the spark gap is supposed to be set to fire at the peak
unloaded voltage of the NST.  The fact that your gap fires at 25% or 55%
Variac means that some degree of mains resonance is occurring with the
NST secondary and your cap.  At 50% Variac, this allows the NST with an
open circuit secondary voltage of only half the gap breakdown voltage to
resonate with the cap to ring up on multiple mains cycles to the
breakdown voltage.  I think that in going to the bigger cap, you have
moved the NST/cap resonance further away from 60 Hz - actually a good
thing.

Hearing the hissing with no visible artifacts is normal.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA