RE: transformer location

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

The reason to not put the NST in very close proximity to the primary
coil is that eddy currents will be induced in large conductive objects
from the primary's magnetic field, resulting is losses.  But the field
falls off rapidly with distance.  I'm sure some measurable loss occurs
if the NST is within 6-8" of the primary, but it's not clear if it's
terribly significant.  IMO, the convenience of a neat package outweighs
any "small", theoretical loss.

I can't see any reason to not put the protection filter near the
primary, except that it should always be kept close to the NST that it's
protecting.  It's just big metal objects that you need to watch.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA