Re: Antenna physical size & shape

Hi Terry,

I've seen at least one schematic of a TC being used as a transmitter where a tap was made into the bottom few turns of the coil at the base and this was used to drive the antenna (of proper length).

Gerry R

A Tesla coil could not directly drive a real antenna due to enormous impedance miss match. We could redesign it to match into 50 ohms but then we would just have a dull old radio transmitter of the spark gap transmitter days...

In the Tesla coil, we tune into a low capacitance high resistive component top load to get super high voltage at the expense of radio radiation (a good thing, less we attract the attention of the federales).

Cheers,

        Terry