RE: Racing sparks at low power...

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Racing sparks typically occur when the bang-size is too big, or larger
than normal.  I'm guessing you have a static gap.  When you crank the
variac down, the BPS of the gap goes down, so the air in the gap is able
to cool and deionize more-so between bangs, which raises the breakdown
voltage, so you may get larger bangs at a low BPS.  I've not personally
seen low-power racing sparks; this is just my guess.  But I would also
expect to see the sparks at low power on the way up as well.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA