Spark Gap/ UV Re: frequency of electromagnetic radiation

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

>      I was always taught that the spark gap gave off ultra-violet and
> thus should not be looked at. Is this correct, as a general rule?
    The spark gap, as such, will have some UV.
    Depending on the coil size, possibly enough to
    be damaging.  A welding arc, with more power,
    and specific materials makes more UV, and the welder is
    Looking Hard At It for hours at a time, so more
    precautions are in order.  Care in any case is a good
    idea.

      best
       dwp