Arc Lamp Transformer

Original poster: Gregory Morris <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

Today I found what appears to be an arc lamp transformer in a dumpster outside my school's chemistry building, it's pretty heavy (I assume well over 100lbs, but maybe I'm just a wimp...) and is about 2' * 1.5' * 1' in dimension. The front panel says Hanovia Arc Lamp and max rating of 1000W, has a few switches (e.g. "Start/Run") and knobs and a couple of dials (DC Amps, and DC Volts). It looked as though it had been drop-kicked a couple of times, but upon opening the case everything inside looked perfect (as far as I could tell). It has a couple of fairly big transformers inside (4"*7"*5" or so) and a few other things I am not familiar with.

I connected it to a couple of carbon electrodes (lead taken out of a #1 pencil) and turned it on, pleased to hear the quiet whir of the fan, and not the loud bang of a circuit breaker or anything like that. I flipped a few switches and played with a few dials, (as you can tell, I'm not really sure what I'm doing) and got an arc between my two makeshift electrodes.

Any idea what this could be used for in coiling or how I can make the best of my new discovery? How can I tell if it's working properly, and does anyone know what the various controls are for? I would upload some pictures, but I am digital-camera-less, though it looks rather similar to this: <http://cgi.ebay.com/Hanovia-Miller-Welders-Arc-Lamp-Power-System-NR_W0QQitemZ7600074523QQcategoryZ113743QQcmdZViewItem> with notable exceptions being that mine isn't as tall, the controls are different, and the dials of mine are part of the face, not sitting on top as those are.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide,
Greg