To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 2:09 AM
Subject: Re: Golka's Wendover "secret" gap

Hi Jerry,

The gas smells like rotten eggs and is heavier than air. If suffocating, "legend" is to hold the victim upside down so the gas can flow out. I don't think I believe that one :o)

It is a very good insulator as gases go and suppresses corona and arcs greatly (the opposite of argon gas). It is often used in high voltage equipment as a pressurized gas to prevent arcing. Many HV gas caps and high voltage dividers us it. You are not supposed to use it for spark gaps ;-))

"We" never arced it, but it produces horrible gasses on decomposition by arc or by fire. It's relative SF4 will kill you standing right out and burst your lungs into flames (on contact with the moisture in the lungs) as you drop to the floor... If it does not ignite, it will form hydrofluoric acid in you lungs that just kills you a few minutes slower (but your already dead at the point from the basic toxicity)... One of the most, if not THE most, deadly gasses known to man...

http://www.concordegas.com/pdf/sf6.pdf#search='sf6%20msds'

Hard to find an MSDS on SF4 since no one plays with it ;-)) It is a homeland security "watch" substance...

SF6 is a very useful high voltage gas insulator but it needs great caution:

http://www.solvaychemicals.us/pdf/Specialty_Fluorides/SF6.pdf#search='sf6%20msds'

http://www.concordegas.com/pdf/sf6.pdf#search='sf6%20msds'

Arcing the gas at very high temperature makes really screwed up compounds... There just are not any good elements there.... Pure SF6 is pretty safe unless it smothers one... But it smells bad :-p

Cheers,

        Terry