Re: ALF: why not DRSSTC?

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Antonio,

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

A DRSSTC can be made to generate almost the same waveforms of a capacitor-discharge system, but the systems are different. The fundamental difference is that a capacitor-discharge system operates using the zero-input response of the network, and the DRSSTC uses the zero-state response, with a sinusoidal (or square wave with negligible difference) input.

Zero-state vs zero-input might be the most elegant way to differentiate between the DRSSTC and capacitor-discharge modes of operation. I was curious though if you would consider the DRSSTC under zero-input response, if you include its DC rail capacitance?

I have a DRSSTC designer/simulator here (sstcd):
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs
(Still can't design systems operating exactly at the resonances,
but can simulate them.)

You have a number of other interesting programs there, as well. Have you ever tried to model the voltage stress contours along the secondary, btw? I remember that Paul Nicholson did come up with modeling software for this and ran numerous coil geometries on Terry's workstation, generating voltage contour animations and a very interesting chart of secondary voltage stress factors vs. coil geometry. I have tried, and failed so far to model voltage contours along a large secondary structure. My attempts generate large amounts of high-frequency components, that I am certain don't exist in reality.

-GL