Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

At 09:32 AM 9/20/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Maybe putting it in oil will lower the freq. some too and insultate it. The more I think about it, why not just fill the form of a regular coil with powdered iron or whatever they use at 5-10 kHz? The coil form walls would have to be unusually thick (1" acryllic?). Finding a source of a few hundred pounds of the stuff would be tough tho. Guess the ferrite/powdered iron core companies is who I'd check first. Seems like giant wire (12awg+) wouldn't be needed unless you were dumping 50 kw+ into it. Probably need that much for breakout on a huge toroid tho. Maybe a regular-sized toroid with a giant inductance?

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Folks, now you're just building ordinary high voltage transformers, albeit resonant.

Commercial resonant HV test sets do just this sort of thing.

Charlton, et al., built 1MeV Xray machines with large resonant transformers at 180 Hz, using just what you are contemplating.. stacks of flat windings, very well insulated iron cores, oil tanks, etc.

You can buy, off the shelf at remarkably good prices, air core tape wound inductors for use in speaker crossovers. They are laminated plastic in between the turns, so should have decent HV properties. I can't remember the company name, but it's in the archives somewhere in the last few years.

Maybe http://www.alphacore.com/